Job description and requirements for Chaplain/Counselor:
ORGANIZATIONAL BACKGROUND: The Whosoever Gospel Mission has provided Christ-centered rehabilitation and job readiness services to homeless men since 1892. For 129 years, the Mission has introduced broken and hurting men to the loving grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, discipled them toward maturity in Christ, provided for their basic needs, and equipped them with the skills and resources they need to achieve a fulfilling life, restored relationships with their family, a lifestyle of recovery from addiction, improved physical and mental health, a good job, a place of their own they can call home, and long-term success as productive, contributing members of our community. We do Gospel Show and Tell – we tell men about the love of Jesus and we show men the love of Jesus through our mercy ministry. All of our services are provided for free. The Mission is a member of the Evangelical Council for Financial Accountability and the Citygate Network, an association of 300 rescue missions in the United States and Canada.
POSITION TITLE: Chaplain/Counselor
REPORTS TO: The New Life Program Coordinator
HOURS OF WORK: Full-time, 80 hours over two weeks. Basically Monday to Friday work. However, on eight weekends a year, you will cover the weekend responsibilities for two of our other chaplains/counselors when they are on vacation. You will be given off Monday or Friday of that week to compensate for those weekend hours. Please see work schedules below. Paid meal times are included in scheduled hours. This is a salaried position, not an hourly position.
PURPOSE: To prepare men in the New Life Program for godly, productive independent living.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES:
- Provide counseling services to men enrolled in the New Life Program – this is a holistic, residential Christ-centered rehabilitation and job readiness program for homeless men. The Mission embraces a biblical counseling model.
- Provide case management to help each resident identify and access needed supports and services.
- Establish a file of referral resources available to Mission clients.
- Provide general Mission weekend supervision 8 weeks a year to cover the weekend responsibilities of the other two chaplains when they are on vacation. These responsibilities include conducting chapel services on Saturday evening and Sunday afternoon.
- Along with our dormitory supervisor, facilitate our biblically-based self-help drug and alcohol meetings (Overcomers) on Thursday night.
- Conduct one or two morning chapels per week as needed.
- Complete various general operational tasks assigned by the New Life Program Coordinator and the Executive Director.
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS: Preferably an MA or MDiv in Pastoral Ministry (with some training in biblical counseling), Biblical Counseling, or Urban Ministry (with some training in biblical counseling). Willing to consider other master-degreed candidates who are committed to a biblical counseling model. Experience in urban ministry and/or a desire to do urban ministry; compassion for the poor, the homeless and those who are addicted. Good organizational skills. Detail oriented. Able to work with minimal supervision. Agreement with the Mission’s evangelical statement of faith. A personal testimony of saving faith in Christ and active involvement in an evangelical church. Embraces a grace-based and Gospel-centered approach to life and ministry. Character and professional references are required.
SALARY AND BENEFITS: Competitive salary, fully paid health insurance for employee, Christmas bonus, three weeks paid vacation, paid sick time, paid holidays, pension plan, discounts on items in Thrift Store, free meals, in-house staff training, opportunity to do Kingdom work in an enjoyable, collegial work environment.
|Time in||Time out||Total Hours|
|Monday||8:00 AM||4:00 PM||8:00:00|
|Tuesday||8;45 PM||4:45 PM||8:00:00|
|Wednesday||8:45 AM||4:45 PM||8:00:00|
|Thursday||1:30 AM||9:30 PM||8:00:00|
|Friday||8:45 AM||4:45 PM||8:00:00|
|Total for week (hours)||40:00:00|
WEEKEND SCHEDULE (8 WEEKENDS A YEAR TO COVER FOR OTHER STAFF)
|Saturday||8:00 AM||12:00 PM||4:00:00|
|Saturday eve||5:45 PM||8:00 PM||2:15:00|
|Sunday||3:15 PM||5:30 PM||2:15:00|